Places to Visit in Portumna, County Galway, Republic of Ireland
HISTORIC HOUSES, CASTLES, GARDENS AND MUSEUMS IN COUNTY GALWAY
The great semi-fortified house at Portumna was built before 1618 by Richard Burke or de Burgo, 4th Earl of Clanricarde. It was the main seat of the de Burgo family for over 200 years, until it was gutted by fire in 1826. The ground floor of the house is now open to the public. To the north of the house are formal, geometrically laid out gardens. Exhibitions in the castle and Gate House. (Conservation works are ongoing.) Portumna Castle now includes the recently restored 17th century walled kitchen garden. Following its original plan the garden has been organically planted with fruit trees, flowers, herbs and vegetables, all combining to make it a treat to the senses. Portumna Castle is surrounded by the towns' local attractions - Lough Derg and the Forest Park.
Limited access for visitors with disabilities to gardens and Gate House.
In case of alteration, please check prices, opening times and any specific important information before booking or visiting