Places to Visit in Killarney, County Kerry, Republic of Ireland
Website: click here
In the mid-1700's, driven by Thomas 4th Viscount, the "hamlet" of Killarney began to develop as a town and simultaneously as Ireland's first and still premier visitor destination. There are many features within the town's architecture which date back to the early and mid-1800's. The oldest (albeit perhaps least impressive) public building is Killarney House which dates back to the 1740's - this is scheduled to be restored, refurbished and re-opened to the public at some time in the future. Other buildings of note are; Deenagh Lodge (1834), Killarney Courthouse (1835), Killarney Railway Station (1853), The Malton Hotel(Formerly the Great Southern - 1854), the Pugin designed St. Mary's Cathedral (1842-1855), the Pugin designed and influenced Bishop's House & Seminary (1860-61), The Old Monastery (1861), Presentation Convent & School (1875-86), Franciscan Friary (1867) and St. Mary's Church of Ireland (1812-89).
In case of alteration, please check prices, opening times and any specific important information before booking or visiting